The University of Iowa's International Writing Programme is running a free (yes free!) massive open online course (MOOC). Power of the Pen: Identities and Social Issues in Fiction and Nonfiction will focus on writing about identities, communities, and social issues in fiction and nonfiction.
This MOOC will:
- Encourage you to write both fiction and nonfiction
- Encourage you to explore the intersections between the two genres
- Encourage you to explore the intersections of individual, community, and global identities
- Encourage you to examine the effect of current social issues on individual, community, and global identities
- Foreground the principles of short and long-term fiction
- Foreground the principles of three forms of nonfiction: literary journalism, memoir essay, and personal essay
- Support your experience of creative and cultural exchange with writers around the world!
Opened: May 15, 2017 - there is still plenty of time to participate.
All I can say is that each week the course continues to blow me away, not just with the quality of the well-established and award-winning writers that share their expertise in the weekly videos but with the excellence of the whole course in the way it has been so well constructed and delivered.
I encourage you to take a look and sign up!